Fiancé Visa steps (continued)

You have reviewed and met all the requirements as far as qualifying to bring your fiancé to the US.  The next steps in the process involve USCIS, the US Department of State and US Customs and Border Protection.

Step 1 is to file the Petition for Fiancé Visa at USCIS:

      • File Form I-129F.
  • Complete Request for evidence, if required, with additional documentation or information.
  • Receive either approved or denied Form I-129F.
  • Approved Form I-129F sent to US Department of State National Visa Center.

Step 2 is the Visa Application at US Department of State National Visa Center (NVC):

  • NVC sends approved form I-129F to the US Embassy where your fiancé will apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa.
  • You are notified of scheduled visa interview appointment.
  • Your fiancé applies for K-1 nonimmigrant visa and goes to scheduled interview.
  • Department of State determines if fiancé qualifies for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa.

Assuming your fiancé qualifies then Step 3 is an Inspection at a Port of Entry by US Customs and Border Patrol.  Your fiancé will enter the US while the K-1 nonimmigrant visa is valid.

Step 4 is to get married within 90 days of your fiancé being admitted to the US.

Lastly if you married within 90 days your new spouse may apply for a Green Card through the Adjustment of Status process.

Our partner, Erika Portillo, and her immigration team have helped so many people secure their visas.  Let them help you today. There are so many steps in obtaining a visa, you really should not risk delaying your marriage by trying to do all the filings alone.  You can reach Erika at 925.459.8440 or email her at

#superlawyers #gtplawyers #immigrationlawyer #uvisa #greencard #fiancevisa

Posted in: Immigration Law