Matthew P. Guichard is a nationally recognized trial attorney, and founder of Guichard, Teng, Portillo & Garrett, a full service law firm serving Northern California since 1994, with offices in Walnut Creek and San Francisco.
Mr. Guichard specializes in general civil litigation, commercial litigation, general trial work, business transactions, and is an expert in alternative dispute resolution. He regularly serves as a Hearing Officer in Coroner’s Inquests. As a member of the Contra Costa County and Alameda Bar Associations, he is often chosen as a mediator by attorneys who seek his assistance in mediation and arbitration. He is also a member of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association. He is a State Bar Fee Arbitrator. Member Contra Costa County Fire Protection District Advisory Board. Board Member Walnut Creek Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau. Board Member Rotary Club of Walnut Creek. Member Walnut Creek “Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)”. Member of the “100 Club” of Contra Costa County. Member of the Commonwealth Club. He is a former President of the Robert G. McGrath American Inn of Court. Former Board Member Youth Homes.
Mr. Guichard is admitted to practice in the State of California, the U.S. Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and all U.S. District Courts in California.
Mr. Guichard earned his J.D. from the McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, CA. After earning his JD, Mr. Guichard earned a certificate in Advanced International Legal Studies at Salzburg University, Salzburg, Austria. He joined the Danish law firm of Lars Christensen, Kyed & Partners in Odense, Denmark, and focused his practice on International License Agreements.
Upon returning from Denmark, Mr. Guichard served as a Deputy District Attorney in Contra Costa County, California. During his seven-year career at the District Attorney’s Office, Mr. Guichard managed the homicide and sexual assault teams, and handled thousands of felony cases. He has a lifetime Community College Teaching Credential, and taught for a number of years at the Los Medanos College Police Academy.
In 1990, Mr. Guichard joined the San Francisco office of Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley, Wagner and Kane, where he focused his practice in civil law; and in 1993, he opened and managed the firm’s Sacramento office.
In 1996, Mr. Guichard formed his own law firm, which is today, Guichard, Teng, Portillo & Garrett. In addition to his practice, Mr. Guichard was a regular lecturer for the State Bar and University of California CEB Program, and authors the popular “Civil Jury Verdicts” and “Bar Soap” columns in the monthly Contra Costa Lawyer magazine. Mr. Guichard is a licensed “Ham” radio operator.
Prior to obtaining his law degree, Mr. Guichard spent a number of years with major publishing companies in the area of marketing and public relations.
Mr. Guichard’s practice areas, admissions, education, memberships:
- Personal Injury, Subrogation, Insurance Contracts and Coverage
- Representation of child molestation victims
- Business Litigation and Transactions
- International Business Transactions
- Arbitrations and Mediations
- State Bar of California Fee Disputes Bar Admissions
- California, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court Education
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, CA Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Salzburg University, Salzburg, Austria Certificate, Advanced International Legal Studies
- American Trial Lawyers
- International Bar Association
- Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Alameda County Bar Association
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
- St. Thomas Moore Society
- Robert G. McGrath American Inn of Court
- Contra Costa County, Former State Bar Delegate
- American Cancer Society Daffodil Days, Former Chairman
- Child Assault Prevention of Contra Costa County, Former Board Member
- Youth Homes, Inc., Former Board Member
- Harrison v. University Hospital, Circuit Court First Circuit (Award: $3,500,000.00 1985)
- Madden v. Sacred Heart Hospital, Circuit Court First Circuit (Award: $5,200,000.00 1989)
- Jeffrey v. Six Flags Over Georgia, Inc, Federal Court, Northern District of Florida (Award: $3,500,000.00 1985)
- Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley, Wagner & Kane
- Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office
- Lars Christensen, Kyed & Partners, Odense, Denmark