Matthew P. Guichard is a nationally recognized trial attorney, and founder of Guichard, Teng, Portillo & Garrett, a full service law firm serving Northern California since 1994, with offices in Walnut Creek and San Francisco.
Mr. Guichard specializes in general civil litigation, commercial litigation, general trial work, business transactions, and is an expert in alternative dispute resolution. He regularly serves as a Hearing Officer in Coroner’s Inquests. As a member of the Contra Costa County and Alameda Bar Associations, he is often chosen as a mediator by attorneys who seek his assistance in mediation and arbitration. He is also a member of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association. He is a State Bar Fee Arbitrator. Member Contra Costa County Fire Protection District Advisory Board. Board Member Walnut Creek Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau. Board Member Rotary Club of Walnut Creek. Member Walnut Creek “Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)”. Member of the “100 Club” of Contra Costa County. Member of the Commonwealth Club. He is a former President of the Robert G. McGrath American Inn of Court. Former Board Member Youth Homes.
Mr. Guichard is admitted to practice in the State of California, the U.S. Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and all U.S. District Courts in California.
Mr. Guichard earned his J.D. from the McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, CA. After earning his JD, Mr. Guichard earned a certificate in Advanced International Legal Studies at Salzburg University, Salzburg, Austria. He joined the Danish law firm of Lars Christensen, Kyed & Partners in Odense, Denmark, and focused his practice on International License Agreements.
Upon returning from Denmark, Mr. Guichard served as a Deputy District Attorney in Contra Costa County, California. During his seven-year career at the District Attorney’s Office, Mr. Guichard managed the homicide and sexual assault teams, and handled thousands of felony cases. He has a lifetime Community College Teaching Credential, and taught for a number of years at the Los Medanos College Police Academy.
In 1990, Mr. Guichard joined the San Francisco office of Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley, Wagner and Kane, where he focused his practice in civil law; and in 1993, he opened and managed the firm’s Sacramento office.
In 1996, Mr. Guichard formed his own law firm, which is today, Guichard, Teng, Portillo & Garrett. In addition to his practice, Mr. Guichard was a regular lecturer for the State Bar and University of California CEB Program, and authors the popular “Civil Jury Verdicts” and “Bar Soap” columns in the monthly Contra Costa Lawyer magazine. Mr. Guichard is a licensed “Ham” radio operator.
Prior to obtaining his law degree, Mr. Guichard spent a number of years with major publishing companies in the area of marketing and public relations.
Mr. Guichard’s practice areas, admissions, education, memberships:
- Personal Injury, Subrogation, Insurance Contracts and Coverage
- Representation of child molestation victims
- Business Litigation and Transactions
- International Business Transactions
- Arbitrations and Mediations
- State Bar of California Fee Disputes Bar Admissions
- California, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court Education
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, CA Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Salzburg University, Salzburg, Austria Certificate, Advanced International Legal Studies
- American Trial Lawyers
- International Bar Association
- Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Alameda County Bar Association
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
- St. Thomas Moore Society
- Robert G. McGrath American Inn of Court
- Contra Costa County, Former State Bar Delegate
- American Cancer Society Daffodil Days, Former Chairman
- Child Assault Prevention of Contra Costa County, Former Board Member
- Youth Homes, Inc., Former Board Member
Attorneys at Guichard, Teng, Portillo & Garrett GET RESULTS.
We work hard to obtain just compensation for our clients whether it is a personal injury or a business damages case. The following is a small sample of the results we have achieved for our clients:
- Vehicle roll-over $1.035 million settlement
Motor Vehicle Accidents
- T-bone at intersection – brain injuries $1.2 million settlement
- Soft tissue injuries and concussion $280,000 settlement
- Broken arm $200,000 settlement
- Soft tissue injuries and concussion $139,000 settlement
- Elderly driver T-boned at intersection $100,000 settlement
- Pedestrian hit by vehicle – soft tissue injuries $75,000 settlement
- Bitten by pit bull – facial injuries $85,000 settlement
- Bitten by pit bull – loss of finger, hand injuries $225,000 settlement
- Gunshot to the eye in hunting accident $400,000 settlement
- Woman sexually abused by employer $10 million judgment (San Francisco)
- Minor molested by neighbor Confidential settlement
- Minor molested by neighbor $2,000,532.15 judgment (Contra Costa)
- Business fraud and breach of contract $305,000 judgment (Yolo)
- Identity Theft and business fraud $500,000 judgment (Contra Costa)
- Breach of contract Confidential settlement
Guichard, Teng, Portillo & Garrett has successfully defended many individuals, government entities, small, mid-sized, and multi-national companies since its inception. Cases run the gamut in terms of subject matter – catastrophic construction site injuries, slips and falls, product liability, fire damage, motor vehicle accidents, defamation, breach of contract and malicious prosecution.
Most civil civil cases are resolved prior to trial and many are resolved at mediation. In many cases, our proactive approach results in early dismissal of our client by the plaintiff.
Our goal in any defense case is always early extrication of the client from litigation. We have been highly successful in doing that and have been appointed as defense panel counsel for prominent companies.
- Breach of Contract Defense Verdict (San Francisco County)
- Malicious prosecution Defense Verdict (Santa Clara County)
- Product liability – fire at manufacturing plant Defense judgment ( Santa Clara County)
- Product liability – dental product Defense judgment (Santa Clara County)
- Product liability – gas industry Dismissal after demurrer (San Joaquin County)
- Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley, Wagner & Kane
- Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office
- Lars Christensen, Kyed & Partners, Odense, Denmark